Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Trust Your Horse (from Douglas Poole)


Dear Cypress Family and Friends,

Anybody going through one of life’s transitions these days? Well we certainly are in a season of transition at Cypress...two well-liked staff members, Chris and Jan Cox, are moving out of vocational ministry and into the marketplace...we are also fast approaching our 30th anniversary together at Cypress and continue to morph in our ministry. Let’s just come out and say it, transitions can leave you feeling a bit off balance and a tad uncertain can’t they? What will Cypress look like next year at this time? Who will be leading our students and who will be leading us in worship? I don’t know that I want all this change? Will I like the end result of all this?

I’m reminded of the words my Father-in-law once said to me as we were riding horses on a very narrow trail next to a couple thousand foot drop, high up on a Montana mountain. “Trust your horse” he told me, “She doesn’t want to fall anymore than you do.” I was on an experienced mare who had walked this trail more than once and since she didn’t seem to be suffering from depression and since she had a boy friend back at the barn...I reasoned she had reason to want to live too! So I relaxed, eased off the reins, enjoyed the crazy beautiful view and trusted my horse. Now that I am older, and have a few of both life and ministry transitions under my belt...what my Father-in-law said about the horse I say about our Lord. His power is unlimited. His presence is ever near. His plans for us are to give us a hope and a future. So “Trust your Lord...He doesn’t want you to fall anymore than you do.” Really. This transition you are facing in your life and your church may be new to you...but not to Him. He has walked this way countless times before. He will see you and He will see us through. “Trust your horse”.

That said, let me give you a quick update. We have a couple of candidates for the director of student ministry position who will be with us the weekends of May 15 and 22. (More than 150 people have applied for the job). Jan’s last day on the clock will be Sunday May 29. Staff member Chuck Deitch and a team of more than capable volunteers will make sure everything and everyone is taken care of during the transition. Next transition...worship leader. Next party...’Yea God for 30 Years Celebration’ June 5, 5:30 PM, Countryside High School Auditorium.

“Trust your horse...”

Blessings,

Douglas
PS  See you this weekend for Part 2 of “ The Best Question Ever”

No comments: