Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Spiritual Birthday

Every year on November 16th I pause, find a place to hit my knees and offer a prayer of thanks. For it was on this day in 1961 as a mere 6 year old boy that I discovered the amazing grace of God that has been made available to me through faith in the work of Jesus on the cross. I can still remember the moment, the church auditorium and the exact seat on the church pew where I knelt and asked Jesus to be my savior. Fast forward now to November 16th 2008 and today I received the best "spiritual birthday" presents a man could get. I taught today in the All Nation's Springs of Live Church in Nakuru, Kenya and at the end of the service a handful of people responded to the gospel of Christ and more than a few made commitments to taking the next step in their spiritual journey. Yea God! Yea God! Yea God! Then in the afternoon the second wave of gifts came my way when one of the Pastor's from the "land fill" sought me out to let me know that everyone of the people who had appropriated God's grace for salvation during our visit there yesterday made it to church today. Every single one! Can I say 'Yea God' again! What more could a guy ask for? The third wave of gifts to come my way for my spiritual birthday is a brilliant and beautiful young African woman who lost her father in her early teens and has given me the honor of serving in the role as her father. Her name is Grace and like her name she is amazing. An amazing daughter of God who is committed to defying the odds of the hard and despairing life that awaits most young women in this country. I'll do my best to be a source of encouragement, direction and hope to her. And I'll do my best to see that her dream of being a journalist is one day be realized.

The Pentecostal African church I spoke in today is a little different than Cypress. After about an hour and a half of some very spirited and lively worship the Pastor leaned over to me and asked how long I planned on speaking. When I told him I usually go 30 to 35 minutes he got a little concerned look on his face and asked if I could go 60 minutes? It was then I heard that famous line from the Wizard of Oz in the back of my brain: "Dorthy you are not in Kansas anymore!"
The passion and energy with which God was worshiped was both beautiful and contagious. I admired but this very white Pastor lacked the required rhythm necessary to join in...but I was dancing on the inside!

Then we moved on to two meals in two different homes and off to street church with the street children. Dozens of young boys in clothes they wear non-stop, weeks on end until they get something new and they start the process over again. Many have developed an addiction to sniffing glue. The glue fumes hit the brain and it gives the illusion of warmth and quells the hunger pains while detaching them from the painful reality of their existence. Joseph, Molly and students from All Nations church spend an hour or so talking with the kids, playing games, singing worship songs, teaching from scripture and then feeding their hungry tummy's. As I watched the service unfold I was reminded of the words of the worship song we sing...God is the God of this city...and because His servants Joe and Molly life here greater things are yet to come, greater things have yet to be done in this city!

Tomorrow we start the first of a three leg flight home. Over the course of the next few weeks I have a lot to process. Once again, I want to thank the family and friends who made this trip possible, you have a piece of all that happened in the last week.

Blessings,
Douglas

my two cents - the most memorable moment of the day for me (Chris) came when, after a church service, we were invited to a very small house to visit a young lady named Rosebella. She was a single mother whose husband died many years ago. Her husbands death left her with two young boys to raise on her own. Fortunately she had the help of her mother. The best job she could find was in Nairobi two hours away working as house help to a family that treated her very poorly. She would go live in the slums in Nairobi for weeks at a time to make money and bring it back to her family. Between the rent that she pays for her small home in Nairobi and the rent she pays for her family in Nakuru (as well as all the other normal living expenses) - she has nothing.

Which made it all the more humbling when we walked into her house today and found a full spread of the best food available. She had rice & vegetables, chicken, home made chips, fried biscuits, and cokes for us to drink. As we sat down, she brought out a basin and pitcher and washed our hands for us. I image it was close to what the disciples must have felt like when Jesus washed their feet.

I felt humbled - almost embarrassed to be receiving so much from this woman who had nothing. I will never forget her generosity and hospitality.
-Chris

1 comment:

pdstein said...

Douglas and Chris, praise God for what He is doing during your trip. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It was good to hear from you guys during the worship service this morning.

I'm praying that God still as more to do through, in you, and around you before you get back home.

-- Paul Steinbrueck