Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day Three - Salgaa & Kabarak

Today was our first day of shooting. We spent the first part of the day in a little village called Salgaa. But before I tell you about our time there, let me first just tell you that no one will ever get away with complaining out our roads or road maintenance construction back home. I traveled to our first stop (about 45 mins away) riding in the back of a 9 passenger van on roads, (some of which I'm not sure should even be given the name 'road'). I've made so much fun of Douglas and his "travelers tummy" - but let me just go on record today and say that I am all done joking about that...nuff said.

So after being very glad to be out of the car, we were greeted by a church service that was going on in our honor. We were introduced to the small village. They sang, danced, and told stories about life in the small village. I was terrible humbled by the way we were treated. I drop more at Starbucks any given morning than some these people have made this year. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I was given a mug of something that I am still a little uncertain of...it was warm and smelled like milk straight from the utter. I put it to my lips, did my best impression of someone drinking, and smiled. They also gave us cokes, which I was grateful for.

After the service, we were able to walk through the village into some of the homes there and hear the stories of the families there. It was overwhelming to say the least. These families are facing a hopeless situation in the coming months...and there is nothing to be done. A village of people who, for circumstances out of their control, are being forced out of their homes. Some of which they've lived in for 50 years. I was overwhelmed with emotion...some tears, some anger, all painful.

We left that village and made our way to Kabarak (on a different, but equally as sickening road). We met and filmed a story of a girl named Helen. We interviewed her in the house that her and her son live in (aka-a 10x10 room). We heard her story - growing up, loosing parents, and eventually contracting aids. It was a painful story to hear, but even more painful is the realization that she and the others we saw today are just a microcosm of the millions of other lives here in Kenya.

As painful as the day was, there were moments of grace. Conversations with Joe and Molly on the long trips of what God is doing in them and through them, meeting some exceptional people who shine, despite the dark and hopeless world around them (shoutout to Daniel, Victor, & Grace-I wish you all could meet them).

I get to walk away from this place in a few days...its not fair that so many of these friends we've met can't also do the same.

A few pics up at www.thechriscoxblog.com

-Chris


PS. Chris captured the day well. Here's a thought or two from my (Douglas) experience today. Where sin abounds grace abounds even more. The horrid effects of sin abound in the little settlement we visited today: hunger, women contracting the HIV virus from unfaithful husbands, children then having the disease passed on to them, homes the size of my dining room made from sticks, mud and manure with six people living in them, ring worm and all sorts of other disease and parasites that no one should have to live with. There were moments it felt a little overwhelming. Yet in the midst of all this, grace was abounding in ways that made me feel like a spiritual midget. God was worshiped with passion, prayers were offered from deep faith and hearts of gratitude. I am embarrassed to think of some of the challenges and disappointments that have caused my faith to struggle in comparison to what these brothers and sisters are facing. The man Pastoring in this community lost his home and all his possessions in the tribal warfare that broke out after the elections and he fled to this place with only his family. He exhibited such grace, no complaining about his situation or thoughts of revenge just gratitude to his God for sparing his family and for the chance to start over.

The highlite of the day for me was opening a bag of clothes my kids sent with me and watching the faces of the children light up as they got something new to wear.


I go to bed now humbled after being in the presence of those who have very little of what this world has to offer but oh so much of God's grace flowing through them.
-Douglas

1 comment:

Deana Kistner said...

Thank you for your daily notes. The folks you are meeting are encouraging us through you and your stories.

We'll keep praying for you all.

Deana