Sunday, August 23, 2009

Private Worship Day 4 - How Can I Keep From Singing Your Praise

How Can I Keep From Singing Your Praise
Author: Chris Tomlin
Scripture References: 2 Corinthians 11: 24-27, 2 Corinthians 4:7-10, Philippians 1:19-21



I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago, to go to one of the biggest college football games ever, the University of Texas vs. Ohio State. While I was there I realized that it did not matter whether you are a fan, alumni, or just a person mooching off a season ticket holder (like myself), that when the band starts playing the Texas fight song, “The Eyes of Texas,” you cannot help but sing along. It is so exciting to see a sea of burnt orange standing with their pointer finger and pinky in the air and singing, “until Gabriel blows his horn.” At that point you move from spectator to participant. For those on the outside, or at home watching the game on TV, this may seem strange because at that point you are a spectator. However, if you are in the stands, participating, there is absolutely no way you can just sit and watch everyone else sing their hearts out. You have to sing. You can’t keep from singing.
Isn’t that the same way with our faith? The bible tells us that, “the message of the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing (spectators), but to those that are being saved (participant) it is the power of life.” We can see this truth fleshed out through the life of the Apostle Paul. In Acts 8 we meet Paul, who was at that point named Saul, who was a spectator to the faith and a persecutor of the church. He was present during Stephen’s sermon and stoning. Verse 3 says that Saul made havoc of the church and was dragging men and women to prison because of their belief. Saul knew that the name of Jesus Christ was beginning to spread throughout the land and he was watching it happen.

However, everything changes when we read on into chapter 9. This is where we see that God shown a light down on Saul and gave him his calling. His calling was very clear in verse 15 and 16. It reads, “for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear my name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel, for I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” Saul immediately began preaching boldly in the name of Jesus. What was the change? How could a man who was a persecutor of the church change instantly into arguably the most influential Christian of all time? The answer is Jesus. Coming face to face with Jesus, and understanding his calling, changes everything. At this very moment he moved from spectator to participant, or from Saul to Paul.

These verses also give us a little more understanding of why Paul had to suffer so much. 2 Corinthians 11: 24-27 (from the Message) says:
I've worked much harder, been jailed more often, beaten up more times than I can count, and at death's door time after time. I've been flogged five times with the Jews' thirty-nine lashes, beaten by Roman rods three times, pummeled with rocks once. I've been shipwrecked three times, and immersed in the open sea for a night and a day. In hard traveling year in and year out, I've had to ford rivers, fend off robbers, struggle with friends, struggle with foes. I've been at risk in the city, at risk in the country, endangered by desert sun and sea storm, and betrayed by those I thought were my brothers. I've known drudgery and hard labor, many a long and lonely night without sleep, many a missed meal, blasted by the cold, naked to the weather.

How could anyone go through all of that and still have so much joy? Paul obviously got the bigger picture. He had met Jesus and was doing the work that he was called to do. This understanding of his calling and his new identity in Christ is the reason that he could go through such difficult times and still say, “but we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be God and not of us. We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed- always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.” (2 Corinthians 4:7-10)

Acts 16 is home to the story of Paul and Silas singing in a jail cell. Incase you are unfamiliar with this story, Paul had just commanded a spirit to come out of a young fortune-teller girl. Her father was angry at them, because now all his hope and profit was gone. He then took Paul and Silas to the authorities in the marketplace and we read that, “the multitude rose up together against them, and the chief magistrates tore off their clothes and commanded them to be beaten with rods. And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely. Having received such a charge, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.” After being beaten, sentenced, and chained, how did they respond? Verse 25 says, “But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.” They were singing! In the midst of extreme persecution, they still sang their praise to God… and what happened? Their chains were loosed. They could have run away (like many of us would), but they stayed around to see the hand of the Lord at work and see their jailer get saved. Paul was now participating in the gospel being spread. How could he not sing?

Our friend Paul understood that no matter the circumstance he would be delivered. “For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body whether by life or by death. For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:19-21) He had met Jesus! He had been given his calling, and was fulfilling that calling no matter what came his way. He says that if these circumstances bring death, then Praise the Lord. There was nothing that was going to keep him from singing to his Lord and Savior.
Let us be reminded that we, like Paul, have had the grace of Jesus extended to us. We have been given the same promises. It is because of Jesus, and the hope that we find through Him that we can sing:

There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring
And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

I will lift my eyes
In the darkest night
For I know my Savior lives
And I will walk with You
Knowing You’ll see me through
And sing the songs You give

I can sing in the troubled times
Sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step
And fall down again
I can sing ‘cause You pick me up
Sing ‘cause You're there
I can sing ‘cause You hear me, Lord
When I call to You in prayer
I can sing with my last breath
Sing for I know
That I'll sing with the angels
And the saints around the throne


HT: www.worshiptogether.com
http://worshiptogether.com/resources/bibleStudy.aspx?iid=511090

No comments: