Friday, August 21, 2009

Private Worship Day 2 - Above All Else

Above All Else

Author: Vicky Beeching
Scripture References: Matthew 13:44
Verse Text: "God’s Kingdom is like a perfect, flawless pearl. When a Jewel Merchant sees it, in his excitement and joy he sells all he owns to buy this one treasure” (Matthew 13:44 paraphrased)

Listen to the song:





Life can often feel like a busy, fast-moving journey. We have to keep running onwards, and get little time to look around and take in the scenery. But every now and then, we arrive at a bend in the road, or reach the top of a hill or mountain. In that place we have to pause, take in the view around us and decide which direction and path we will take next. We must also choose who and what governs our decisions and priorities in life.
I found myself on that hill-top of decision, after three busy years at Oxford University. There had always been an obvious next step – school, college, university, and now what? I looked around at the view, seeing many pathways and options to pursue. I needed God’s direction as I stepped into this next season of life.

At that time of reflection and decision making, a song was born. It was a heart cry that clothed itself in lyrics and melody. I had dreams, goals and hopes for my life, but one desire eclipsed them all - wanting more of Jesus. At that bend in the road, I chose that all my decisions in the years ahead would be based on one foundational prayer – “God, above all else in life, I want you. Give me Yourself”. The song lyrics I wrote, express this desire:

Jesus, my passion in life is to know you
May all other goals bow down to
This journey of loving you more
Jesus, you’ve showered your goodness on me
Given your gifts so freely
But there’s one thing I’m longing for
Hear my heart’s cry
And my prayer for this life...

Above all else
Above all else
Above all else
Give me yourself

It is my ‘mission statement’ for life, in song form. It reminds me what really matters. When I’m faced with decisions, the jukebox in my head usually starts playing this song! Suddenly I hear the line “may ALL other goals bow down to this journey of loving you more”, and it keeps my choices anchored on loving and following Jesus.

Right now we all stand on a hill top together, watching as this day comes to a close and a new day begins to dawn. The view stretches out ahead of us - new horizons, new challenges, new choices to make. I hope you will join with me, praying that God will be first in our lives - above all else - in all that lies ahead. May knowing and loving him more, be the passion that guides our steps.

HT: www.worshiptogether.com
http://worshiptogether.com/resources/bibleStudy.aspx?iid=259950

No comments: