Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blah, Blah, Blah

I've heard it all day long...blanc, blanc (pronounced "blah"). Literal translation: "hey white boy". Little children yelling it over an over again as they run behind the pickup truck that we're riding in. Saying it over an over again as we walk down the street wanting me to take their picture so they can see their beautiful faces on my 3" lcd screen. Beautiful children, not given the same chances that my own boys will never realize they have.

Its good to finally be here, it wasn't easy. We've had so much trouble on this trip. We got into Port Au Prince, Haiti around 11:00am yesterday and jetted over to a smaller airport just down the road to try and book the next leg of our trip to Port de Paix. We were told to wait, so we waited, and waited, and waited. Finally our names were called! Up to the counter to find out that they were full. So we purchased our tickets for the next day. We found a place to stay for the night and got to the airport the next morning (today). We checked in with no problems, but once we got on the plane, we looked out the window to see my luggage still sitting on the runway as we pulled away. We were told that it would get to us sometime today...no worries. So not only am I'm I without a toothbrush and clothes, the video camera is also in there, so no filming. We were also stopped by the police and took about an hour before we finally worked a "deal" with them. Spent hours at the bank trying to rap up some school business. Yes - it was a long trip here.

But now that we're here, it seems right. It seems right to be with the people we're with. It's good to connect with people who live in a culture so different than my own, but still have so much "core" stuff in common. And - as I was writing this, my bag showed up! THANK YOU GOD! We have finally arrived!

We start filming tomorrow, lots of pictures today - I'll attach a few of the best below - all for now from me (Chris)

Peace

PS. A Few thoughts from Douglas

Once again I am seeing the faces and hearing the voices of some Haitian brothers and sisters I have come to love. As Chris said the journey here took longer than expected and was fraught with an interesting twist or two. As we drove the hour it takes to travel the 8 miles from Port de Paix to St Louis (yes you read that right...a hour to drive 8 miles) I saw again the simply deplorable conditions people live in here, I saw some spray painted words on a wall that read "Haiti, Mission Impossible". Were is not for the God with whom all things are possible the graffiti artist would be right. In the middle of this mess is a ray of hope, a church changing this little corner of the world one life at a time. After the bank fiasco...the police "pull over" and the bag issue I silently prayed and ask the Lord to remind me why I'm doing this...then we got to the school and I was met by the smiling faces of some of the children we sponsor and I saw hope in the middle of this hopelessness and I remembered why I'm doing this. Were things reversed, I hope some Pastor in better circumstances would jump in the mess with us...so I'm elbow deep in it again.




2 comments:

Jacque Poole said...

Douglas and Chris,
I know God is with you and ordering your steps. As you go about His work, being His hands and His feet, I know you will experience His love and grace that you are sharing with His children in St. Louis du Nord.
You make my proud.
I love you, Douglas,
Jacque

Karen said...

WOW is all I can say. I am so thankful to you guys and to our Cypress Meadowers who make this all possible. I was really stirred by the picture of the school with the children in their uniforms, learning how to make their lives better, both by education and faith. What great work.