Tuesday, March 8, 2011

She had me with a smile... (from Douglas Poole)

Dear Cypress Family and Friends,

She had me with a smile.

Yesterday my daughter Sarah and 15 month old granddaughter Lillian stopped by for a few minutes just to make my day. It has been a week where more than a few people have unpacked some of life's very real challenges with very real consequences on me. Heavy stuff...I didn't realize just how heavy it had gotten until little Lillian peaked at me through the slats of a chair and then her eyes lit up as her face exploded in a smile. The joy and love she communicated with that smile...rolled over me like a tsunami and washed away a lot of junk my shoulders had been carrying. Powerful little smile wouldn't you say?

Got me to thinking. Want to make some people's day while at the same time mess with the minds of a few others? Smile. Really...just smile at people today. Be an indiscriminate smiler and you will bring some joy to a few people whose hearts are so heavy or so sad or so lonely that they haven't experienced this kind of grace in way too long. You may just be the one bright spot in an otherwise bleak day or week or month for them. And of course a few will treat you will suspicion, smile anyway...and let "em" wonder what you are up to.

It was Mother Teresa who once said: "Every time you smile at someone it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."

And you want to know a great thing about it...won't cost you a dime. Now that is a gift to smile about!

See you this weekend, Saturday or Sunday as we finish up our mini-series "Compelled"...I’ll be the guy smiling and holding open the front door.

Blessings,

:-)

No comments: