Friday, April 30, 2010

Day Two - A Night Under the Stars (and rain)

***day one is below***

Ahhh…Haiti. What a beautiful and disgusting mess. There's trash everywhere. And when I say everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE! There is little pride in this country. The dream, if you ask anyone, is to get out. To escape. America.

It'd be hard to have pride in your country in a place like this. There are so many problems. So much broken. I'd want out too.

But there are also men like Saul and his family, who, where most people see problems, see opportunity. Saul is a smart man. He's been in politics, law, a teacher, an author, and just an all around fun guy. A laugh as big as any I've ever heard. He and a handful of others like him, make these trips fun. We spend most of our days here with He, his boys (Lulu and Saul Jr), Jean, Jose, Jude, the pastor and his family, and a few other random friends and faces.

We spent the first half of the second day at the Water Mission riding around with the director and talking to the staff. We both left there knowing we had made a very important connection. We were met by Saul and Lulu (who could easily stand in as a middle linebacker for some college team) and went to the small airport to fly up to Port Au Paix.

We took our 45 minute flight in a tiny puddle jumper dodging clouds and bouncing around the mountain skies of the island of Hispanol. We landed safely and were met with some good friends of Saul on the airport runway (Saul's the kind of guy who has great friends anywhere we find ourselves among the 10 million people of Haiti). We went straight to the church service - the first of a five day "conference" that will end in the ordination of Jean, and the "real reason" we're here. The service started at 6. Our people decided they wanted to get there a bit earlier than normal, so we wondered over around 6:45 (nope-not a typo). The service was just getting ready to start. We walked in the door and the worship team and singers began. It was so loud, my ears are still ringing.

Great band - the Pastor's sons all play a few instruments. Jude was on bass that night and is every bit as good as any of the excellent musicians I get to play with.

It's funny. As far as I could tell, any one could walk up, grab the mic and sing any song they'd like. The band would quickly find the key the singer landed on and jump in with accompaniment. As a musician - it was impressive.

We made it through the 3 hour service of which I understood nothing of. After the service we walked to the pastors house for a meal prepared by the pastor's wife. We sat around the table and talked for a while about the church, challenges they're facing, and what God is doing there. Sounded a lot like conversations we as a church staff have every tuesday around our table at home. Same challenges, same complaints, same God coming through in similar ways.

After dinner, we headed out. Douglas and I were ready to get to the mission.

Everytime I've been to the mission, we've been the only people in a place that is capable of housing hundreds. This time was different however. This time, it was clear as we drove up that this place was full. It was so full. There were no beds, not a spare inch on the floor for an extra mattress. But with her characteristically gracious way, Maurine from the mission told us she'd be happy to have us if we don't mind just finding a spot. And that's what we did. The only spot we could find was up on the roof over looking the city and shore line. Really a very beautiful spot. A beautiful view with a welcomed escape from the muggy conditions inside the complex walls.

As we made our make shift beds and lay down, Douglas (once again in classic Douglas form) starts talking "sailor" (yet another language I don't speak). Something about the northwinds, low pressure mixing with the southernly high pressure and the barometric pressure philharmonic existential onamonapia (at least that's what I heard). After breaking it down for me, he told me "in layman's terms" that he thought it was going to rain. I told him he just needs to believe and all will be well. We laid there for a few more minutes and I hear him get up - I look over and he's packing up his stuff to bring inside. After ragging him (something about being old and girly) I convinced him to just keep his stuff out there and stay.

Cut to 3 hours later...

Downpour.

I manage to slip my shoes on, thrown my bag on my back and stuff my bedding under my arm. We find a muggy little corner in the entrance way of the complex to try and sleep the rest of the night away.

Needless to say - as I sit and type this this morning...I'm exhausted.

Alright - enough for now. Grace and peace.

-Chris

2 comments:

pdstein said...

Hey Chris, rough night. My God bless you with the strength & energy you need for the rest of the trip.

Chris Cox said...

Thanks Paul - it was a rough night, but made up for it last night. All is well =)